Once upon a time, there was no football or camogie in Ballyholland.
Ballyholland Harps is a small rural GAA club from County Down, Northern Ireland. The club was founded in 1954, and has been based at its present grounds, Fr. Lynch Park since 1984.
As a GAA club, the Harps provides teams for a local community in the sports of Gaelic Football and Camogie from under-6s up to adult level.
The club was formed in 1954, with a mission of bringing gaelic games to a small community on the outskirts of Newry, County Down. Over fifty years on and a thriving club is now in place, boasting its own grounds and social rooms and providing for a combined membership of over 300 people.
These people generally hail from Ballyholland and its neighbouring areas and have come together to play and support teams from under-8 to adult level in the traditional games of Gaelic Football and Camogie.
The club’s impressive home is Fr Lynch Park, named after its founder member, and can be found about a mile and a half from Newry City in Co Down, Northern Ireland.
The club crest, depicts some of the key features of the area. Aside from the official club emblem of a Harp, there is a cross symbolising Mass Rock, a local religious shrine where people have celebrated their faith since the penal times, while the neighbouring Mourne Mountains are featured in the background.